Wednesday 30 April 2008

School kid errors

First - apologies for the delay. I have changed my continent but am settling in now.

So to kick off again just a few comments of some basic errors I have seen since I last lectured you all (in a most non KM way).

1. It seems to have become popular amongst many aspiring KM managers to stick Wisdom at the top of the traditional KM pyramid - you know, knowledge / information / data. Before anyone does this again please ask yourself why you are doing this? Do you have amongst your workplace a clear and coherent understanding of what Knowledge is? Probably not. Do you have any idea how you are going to define Wisdom over and above Knowledge? Probably not. Do you even know why you want to stick it at the top? Probably not. Of course if you are in this position thats great and I apologise in advance. My only concern is that we are just making more work for ourselves in an already difficult environment. It adds nothing to explaining KM to the wider work place and does little for the practicalities of taking it forward.

2. Play. I will write more of this later - by which I mean I will actually give some examples proper rather than just theory. But in developing a praxis of KM we must emphasise the importance of play - that is as a method of learning. Don't worry I am not going to suggest a day of paintballing or anything that requires too much of that kind of exertion.

3. Time and history. As almost every practitioner will tell you. KM is not done to an organisation. It is probably being done on some level somewhere. A major part of KM is joining up these dots.

Until anon.

No comments: